Tag Archives: political
Silly Mitt Romney! When you say something, it might be a good idea to stand behind it, especially when you’ve already publicly made an opposing viewpoint. But, in your defense, that was one hell of a debate. Too bad your statements were full of ideas you don’t agree with and blatant lies.
“GOP lawmakers in four states so far — Indiana, North Carolina, Wisconsin, and Kansas — have defunded Planned Parenthood in their 2011 legislative sessions because some of the organization’s clinics provide abortions.”
Abortions are legal and should be a personal matter. Unfortunately, many conservative states do not see it that way and have taken the situation into their own hands. Planned Parenthood has offered many procedures, medications and assistance to women who didn’t have the resources. With the states pulling the funds, it has made it nearly impossible for low-income individuals to be able to even afford medication, yet along a procedure like an abortion. These women should have the ability and freedom to make their own decisions and just because they are lower on the pay scale, they should not be condemned.
These politicians may think what they’re doing is best in regards to the economy and morally, but again, it is not their place to make decisions based on their moral opinions. Who knows what situation could have led to the need for Planned Parenthood’s services (i.e. rape). I am outraged by these states and hope that no others follow in their footsteps.
Read the FULL article here
51st state: ‘South California’ secession proposal unanimously approved for discussion at summit – latimes.com
I’m glad that they are aware that this proposal will go nowhere, but it still seems silly to waste time on something so far out of reach. I’m only saying this because I think it’s ridiculous, but because it is a waste of time, energy and money.
According to the Los Angeles Times:
South California, the proposed 51st state to the union, a long-shot concept that would see 13 California counties secede from the Golden State, was unanimously approved by the Riverside County Board of Directors Tuesday for more discussion and debate.
I’m looking forward to see how long that drag this issue out and glad that my county has been left out due to uninterested parties, on both sides I assume.
Being on Broadway is sometimes just a dream for people, especially those who have no natural talent. Well now, none of that matters. These couples will be able to be on stage at the St. James to wed and make history. It’s exciting that New York’s Broadway community is not only embracing, but celebrating this momentous occasion. Congratulations to all the lucky couples that will be a part of this!
Instinct Magazine: Broadway is prepped to welcome New York’s marriage equality law with plans to celebrate some of the state’s first same-sex marriages the best way the Great White Way can: on stage! So what is the Broadway community planning to commemorate this historic occasion?
After Hair wraps up its nightly performance on July 25th, a few lucky couples from the Broadway community will become some of the first same-sex pairs to legally tie the knot in the Empire State right there on the stage of the St. James Theater! (Just think of all the young gay boys who dream of Broadway weddings!)
Book of Mormon star Rory O’Malley made the announcement in front of the theater, currently playing host to Hair, late Wednesday. ”It’s not just a summer of love,” he said at the press conference, “it’s a summer of equality.”
Jordan Roth, president of the company that owns the St. James, said, ”The theater is the place where we come together to celebrate and affirm who we are as a people. It is the place where we stand in front of our community on a stage and we speak our truths. That’s what theater is and that’s what a wedding is.”
Michele Bachmann has been making the rounds in the media these days, and for good reason. I recently read something that she said in response to a question about how she felt about Fred Phelps (leader of The Westboro Baptist Church). I was shocked and outraged by her response:
“I almost think that the gay community has hired this guy, or created this guy, to do what he does. He is their best friend.”
This is utterly ridiculous! Does she also believe that they’re helping the families who go to funerals of their fallen soldiers and have to face this churches condemnation?! Anyone that can justify any of this “clergy’s” actions, should not be considered to represent “the people” of America. This not only insults me, but makes me ashamed; Not for who I am, but for trying to be fair in my judgment of her.
She refers to people that call themselves homosexuals as having a “very real issue of sexual dysfunction in their life, and sexual identity disorders.”
I think she may be holding on to this definition of homosexuality because her poor husband would have no other excuse for his closeted gayness. Maybe I’m wrong though and his gay exorcism program really is working out well. Although, I don’t think I am. It seems more fitting that he’s gay, she’s a bitch, and the homosexuals are tired of being gay bashed by an ignorant politician.
More on Michele Bachmann’s Hatred Towards Gays: http://gawker.com/5820706/michele-bachmann-in-her-own-words-gays-are-part-of-satan
Afghan President Hamid Karzai’s powerful half brother, who critics claimed had ties to the drug world as well as to U.S. intelligence, was assassinated Tuesday by one of his own bodyguards in southern Afghanistan.
Ahmed Wali Karzai was shot twice — once in the head and once in the chest — by the bodyguard, according to hospital officials. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the killing.
A person who witnessed the assassination told The Associated Press that a member of Wali Karzai’s private security team killed him with an AK-47. The individual, who declined to be identified, said other bodyguards quickly gunned down the assassin.
Wali Karzai, who held sway over the old Taliban capital Kandahar in the country’s south, was a controversial figure whose activities had long been a problem for his brother, the president.
Although a motive for the killing had not been established, NPR’s Quil Lawrence, speaking from Kabul, said Wali Karzai had no shortage of enemies.
“It’s probably safe to say that it’s impossible to be on top in Kandahar without making a lot of enemies,” Lawrence said. “There had been many attempts against him in the past several years,” he said, adding that the Taliban “saw him as a symbol of the corrupt … puppet government of the West.
“It also bears repeating that last year in The New York Times, there were allegations that Ahmed Wali Karzai had been a CIA asset,” Lawrence said.
The killing came just hours before Hamid Karzai held a news conference with French President Nicolas Sarzoky.
“This morning my younger brother Ahmed Wali Karzai was murdered in his home,” the Afghan president said. “Such is the life of Afghanistan’s people. In the houses of the people of Afghanistan, each of us is suffering, and our hope is that, God willing, to remove this suffering from the people of Afghanistan and implement peace and stability.”
While Wali Karzai was undoubtedly a key power broker in the country’s southern heartland, he had always denied charges of being on the CIA payroll or involved in drug trafficking. Members of the international community had urged Hamid Karzai to remove his brother from his powerful provincial position, saying it was essential if he was to prove to the Afghan people that he was committed to good governance.
NPR’s Lawrence said some years ago, he spoke to a Western diplomat who is close to President Karzai. “He said at the time … that President Karzai himself was at a loss of what to do.”
The president essentially said, ” ‘This is my brother, I can’t move against him.’ Here in Afghanistan, these family ties are extremely important. What might be seen as cronyism on the outside is essentially seen as doing what is owed to one’s family,” Lawrence said.
Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani condemned the killing in a statement, calling it an “act of cowardice” and offering his condolences to the president.
Noorolhaq Olomi, a former parliament member from Kandahar, said Wali Karzai was the most powerful man in southern Afghanistan.
“I cannot say whether this was political or personal or some other matter,” Olomi said. “But whoever did it, it shows the weakness of this government. The president needs to change things. He needs to change himself and build a government that is real. Right now, there is no government. It’s all a fraud.”
Rangina Hamidi, a resident of Kandahar and daughter of the city’s mayor, said Wali Karzai is survived by five children — two sons and three daughters. She said his youngest son was born about a month ago.
“It is his one-month-old child who is never going to see his father that I cry about,” she said, sobbing on the phone. “How many orphans and widows are we creating in this country?”
Wali Karzai had been the target of multiple assassination attempts. In May 2009, his motorcade was ambushed by insurgents firing rockets and machine guns in eastern Nangarhar province. One of Wali Karzai’s bodyguards was killed, but he was not harmed.
That attack came less than two months after four Taliban suicide bombers stormed Kandahar’s provincial council office, killing 13 people in an assault that Wali Karzai said was aimed at him. A Taliban spokesman said the attack targeted the general compound. The president’s brother had left the building a few minutes before that attack.
Wali Karzai also survived a November 2008 attack on the provincial council offices while the group was inside hearing constituent complaints. A suicide bomber drove an oil tanker up to the council’s offices and blew up the vehicle, killing six people and wounding more than 40. Two members of the provincial council were wounded but Wali Karzai was unharmed.
NPR’s Quil Lawrence in Kabul and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
The body gaurd didn’t really take his job all that seriously, obviously. Next time someone in this family wants to hire someone, they should definitely check their references and at the very least, make sure they’re not in the Taliban.
By Phil Willon, Los Angeles TimesJuly 11, 2011
Accusing Sacramento of pillaging local governments to feed its runaway spending and left-wing policies, a Riverside County politician is proposing a solution: He wants 13 mostly inland, conservative counties to break away to form a separate state of “South California.”
Supervisor Jeff Stone, a Republican pharmacist from Temecula, called California an “ungovernable” financial catastrophe from which businesses are fleeing and where taxpayers are being crushed by the burden of caring for welfare recipients and illegal immigrants.
On Tuesday, the Riverside County Board of Supervisors will consider Stone’s proposal to host a statewide summit for city and county leaders to sketch out a framework for secession.
The politician said he was undaunted by scores of failed similar attempts since the 1800s, saying Californians haven’t face such dismal economic times since the Great Depression.
“This has struck a chord with a lot of people in the state who have suffered economically,” said Stone, adding that he has received thousands of emails supporting his proposal. “We know it’s going to be a challenge to form a second state, but it’s not a impossible. We’re sending a message.”
A spokesman for Gov. Jerry Brown, a Democrat, called Stone’s proposal a laughable political stunt, saying the Riverside County supervisors should be more concerned about closing that county’s expected $130-million revenue shortfall in the next budget year and possible cutbacks to public safety.
“It’s a supremely ridiculous waste of everybody’s time,” said spokesman Gil Duran. “If you want to live in a Republican state with very conservative right-wing laws, then there’s a place called Arizona.”
Along with Riverside, the counties in Stone’s South California would be Fresno, Imperial, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Mono, Orange, San Bernardino, San Diego and Tulare.
Combined, those counties are home to about 13 million people. Republicans account for the majority of registered voters in all of those counties except San Bernardino and Imperial.
Noticeably absent from Stone’s vision of an independent South California is Los Angeles County, the state’s largest by population and a Democratic stronghold. Ventura and Santa Barbara counties also failed to make the cut.
“Los Angeles is purposely excluded because they have the same liberal policies that Sacramento does. The last thing I want to do is create a state that’s a carbon copy of what we have now,” Stone said. “Los Angeles just enacted a ban on plastic grocery bags. That put three or four manufacturers out of business.”
Still, Stone said he would be amenable to including other counties that might be interested, or even to shifting boundaries radically by cleaving the state between inland and coastal counties.
More than 220 campaigns to split California into halves, or thirds, have been bandied about since the 1850s, most echoing similar arguments that the state had grown too large and was paralyzed by politicians and bureaucrats who ignored the concerns of the people.
“Secession proposals are just ways of thinking about California, and are also ways for people who feel neglected get the attention that they deserve,” said USC historian Kevin Starr, who has written extensively on California. “It’s never passed, and it will never pass. It’s been up to bat 220 times and struck out every time.”
I obviously think this is a silly idea, but with the gap between Democrats and Republicans growing even larger, I am not surprised. California has usually been viewed as a liberal state, even though there is a large Republican following throughout the state. I highly doubt the solution to this problem would be to separate the state into two different entities and hope for better results in the near future.
I personally feel like this has failed so many times before because it would be more hassle than anything. I just do not see all of these counties agreeing on this and actually seceding from the state. I guess we’ll see in due time.
“Main investigator and three deputies used privileged documents to help build a case against the “Irvine 11,” a group of UC Irvine and UC Riverside students who are charged with conspiracy to disrupt a speech by Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren in February 2010.”
This post has been corrected. See note at the bottom for details.
An Orange County Superior Court judge has ordered the district attorney’s office to remove its main investigator and three top deputies from the case against a group of college students accused of disrupting an ambassador’s speech at UC Irvine.
Judge Peter Wilson’s dismissal Thursday of the prosecutors is an attempt to remedy the D.A.’s unauthorized use of privileged documents to help build a case against the “Irvine 11,” a group of UC Irvine and UC Riverside students who are charged with conspiracy to disrupt a speech by Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren in February 2010.
Wilson’s move rids the case of lead investigator Paul Kelly — who was expected to testify against the Irvine 11 before his removal — Senior Assistant Dist. Attys. William Feccia and Rebecca Olivieri, and Assistant Dist. Atty. Mike Lubinski, the Daily Pilot reported.
While looking through thousands of documents obtained through search warrants, Kelly came across communications between the Irvine 11 and their defense attorney, Reem Salahi. The defense identified 20,000 pages, deemed privileged by the judge, in the D.A.’s possession.
At least one email between Salahi and a student was used to bring new charges against that student.
Wilson said Kelly seemed unaware of the protocols that needed to be followed when he came across the privileged attorney-client communications.
“It’s a stop and discuss,” Wilson said. “It’s not a self-police.”
The Orange County district attorney’s office now has to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that none of the evidence it plans to use was directly or indirectly obtained through privileged information, Wilson ruled.
The defense attorneys initially asked the court to recuse the D.A.’s office from the case altogether because, they argued, the use of the privileged information prejudiced the case against the students. The defense also said that it would be difficult for the prosecutors to argue the case fairly when considering the level of involvement top deputy district attorneys and Dist. Atty. Tony Rackauckas himself have in the Irvine 11 case.
Wilson contended that the breach was not severe enough to remove the district attorney’s office.
The next court hearing is scheduled at 9 a.m. July 21 at the Central Justice Center in Santa Ana.
[For the Record, 11:57 a.m. July 1: An earlier version of the headline on this post said the judge had dismissed an investigator and top prosecutors. The judge actually ordered the district attorney's office to take them off the case.]
– Mona Shadia, Times Community News
Photo: College students protest in front of the offices of the Orange County district attorney in Santa Ana in February against charges being brought against the 11 students who interrupted a speech by Israeli ambassador Michael Oren at UC Irvine last year. Credit: Mark Boster / Los Angeles Times