Tag Archives: Kayapo people
Over 40,000 people have shared this photo on different social media outlets and in turn, made this a viral image with a remarkable story. Chief Raoni of the Kayapó people, it claims, is crying because he’s helpless “before the advance of capitalist progress, modern predatory civilization,” according to the caption on the FaceBook posting.
The Belo Monte dam, on a tributary of the Amazon river, has only been under construction since last year, though it’s been proposed since the late 1970s. It will displace between than 20,000 and 40,000 people, according to various sources.
Along with the image is a link to petition the construction of the dam. Luckily, due to this image, they have nearly reached their goal of 750,000 signatures. Unfortunately, many people signed that petition as a reaction to this image, even thought he story itself has been fabricated.
Although Chief Raoini does protest the construction of the dam, he told AmazonWatch.org that this photo is actually a moment in which he was reunited with a family member.
All in all, it’s great that this photo raised awareness, but unfortunate that someone falsified information to do so.
- URGENT: Chief Raoni and the Kayapo under attack! (2012indyinfo.com)
- Belo Monte Dam Controversy Rages On (energyrefuge.com)
- Over A Million People Sign Petition Against Brazil’s ‘Pandora Dam’ (forbes.com)
- Hundreds Occupy Belo Monte Dam Site in Brazilian Amazon (yubanet.com)
- Stop the Madness! (heartwhispers.co.uk)
Other Interesting Posts
- [VIDEO] 9-Year-Old Discusses the Meaning of Life and Much More
- [VIDEO] Hidden Camera Prank on Kids Attempts to Explain Taxes Before Election
- [VIDEO] Break’s Halloween 31 Days Of Scare Contestant: Please Go Like on FaceBook
- WWJB: What Would Jesus Be? Liberal Democrat, Of Course!
- [VIDEO] Woman Calls Obama a Communist But Can’t Define Communist