Category Archives: College
I am not kidding. This is seriously what people are doing; Getting drunk off their asses and, at some point, falling from a tree to the ground below. The last person to be sitting in the tree, wins. I wonder, though, whether they have to bring their drinks up with them or if people will supply them with booze, as they go? It is boring? Waiting to get shitfaced can be, even in the comfort of one’s own home. At least at my place I have a comfortable bathroom.
I’m going to create an American version: Couch potato. In my game, you sit on the couch and consume ridiculous amounts of alcohol until you either fall from the couch or have to get up and use the restroom.
According to a report in the Otago Daily Times, staff at the city’s botanic gardens raised the alarm after noticing “an increase in possum” activity.
If you’d still rather play Possum than couch potato, then I wish you the very best in maintaining your balance and not slamming your skull into the ground. But first, you’ll need to know the specifics.
The online Urban Dictionary defines possum as a “drinking game in which players have to sit in a tree, like possums, and consume a pack of 24 beers [typically 350ml units in New Zealand] until they fall out of the tree from drunkenness”.
Obviously, one of the main concerns for people in the neighborhood is the litter left, vomit not washed away, as well as the damage to the trees, which are said to be over 100-years-old.
The few tree-drinkers apprehended to date had been “required to clean up their litter and to meet with the proctor for disciplinary action”.
I love that they’re now called “tree drinkers”. Ha.
- This Game Of Thrones Drinking Game Will Have You Wasted in 10 Minutes Flat [Game Of Thrones] (kotaku.com)
- New Zealand Challenges Australia at Extreme (Maybe Fatal) Drinking Games (coedmagazine.com)
- “True American” Is The Next Big Drinking Game (buzzfeed.com)
- SJP and Greg Kinnear Suggest an I Don’t Know How She Does It Drinking Game! (popsugar.com)
- Top 10 Movie Drinking Games for February (coedmagazine.com)
- LORD OF THE RINGS Drinking Game – Drink Yourself into Middle Earth (geektyrant.com)
- Video: Watch Our SAG Awards Breakdown – the Night’s Best Fashion, the Biggest Winners, and Drinking Games! (popsugar.com)
- Why Do We Turn Everything Into A Drinking Game? (collegecandy.com)
- The Definitive ‘Kony 2012′ Drinking Game (buzzfeed.com)
- How to play the True American drinking game from New Girl (igoyougoblog.com)
Researchers from the University of Rochester, the University of Essex, England, and the University of California Santa Barbara have published the results of a study confirming that homophobes are actually deeply closeted homosexuals themselves. This is something that almost any gay person would agree with, and now that the research has been done, I’m happy to admit that I was right. <—always happy to admit this
Homophobia is more pronounced in individuals with an unacknowledged attraction to the same sex and who grew up with authoritarian parents who forbade such desires, a series of psychology studies demonstrates.
“Individuals who identify as straight but in psychological tests show a strong attraction to the same sex may be threatened by gays and lesbians because homosexuals remind them of similar tendencies within themselves,” explains Netta Weinstein, a lecturer at the University of Essex and the study’s lead author.
“In many cases these are people who are at war with themselves and they are turning this internal conflict outward,” adds co-author Richard Ryan, professor of psychology at the University of Rochester who helped direct the research.
There were four different studies that were done and the entire report from ScienceDaily is actually rather revealing and interesting. Again, something that has been assumed by many for a while, but now we have science on our side to explain that this is the truth. While I should be happy, I’m actually rather disturbed by these findings. All this means is that people are so ashamed of who they are that they try to mask their identity by abusing those who have had a similar path but chose to accept who they were as opposed to hiding this. Damaged, closeted homosexuals hating those who were able to overcome hate and prejudice.
- Are homophobes secretly gay? (bazaardaily.com)
- Homophobes: Externalizing an Internal Conflict (slog.thestranger.com)
- Homophobia linked to lack of awareness of one’s sexual orientation and authoritarian parenting, study shows (medicalxpress.com)
- Is some homophobia self-phobia? (eurekalert.org)
- [VIDEO] Anti-Gay, Homophobic Rant at High School Assembly (practikel.com)
- Right Gay Rights (gromesoapbox.com)
“A couple of years ago, my sister told me she would never let a gay man watch her children because, she said they were deviant, and more likely to molest them; Today, she’s my strongest advocate.”
To me, religion and sexuality shouldn’t conflict with one another because choosing what to believe in and being who you were born to be, are two completely separate issues. I am an atheist and I am a lesbian; The students in this video are Mormon‘s and they, too, are homosexuals. Sexual orientation, in my mind, is something that you’re born with (for most people), and trying to deny that part of yourself could turn you into someone you don’t recognize. And how could you possibly love someone who you don’t even know or understand? In order for us, humanity, to be happy, we have to first love who we are as individuals, and then be willing to share that love with anyone and everyone.
To be honest, I was very shocked by this video and what USGA is doing, because I would have never expected so many open BYU students, who didn’t judge or condemn a fellow classmate for being a homosexual. Luckily, they made this video for people like those who are still struggling, Mormon and gay, as well as myself and the general public. Only a few years ago did BYU change their honor code, which allowed LGBT students to even enroll. This is a great step in the right direction for both the Mormon church and those who practice Mormonism.
- Man accused of extorting money and sex from BYU student appears in court (fox13now.com)
- Bullying Among Children and Youth on Perceptions and Differences in Sexual Orientation (education.com)
- Malaysia to Ban All LGBT Characters from Television Because They’re ‘Against Norm of a Religious Society’ (towleroad.com)
- California College Paperwork Might Get a Little Sexier [Lgbt] (jezebel.com)
- A Case for (Mormon) Gay Marriage (queeringthechurch.com)
- Thousands of Students In All 50 States, 9 Countries Pledge To Be Allies Against Anti-LGBT Bullying (prweb.com)
- Comedian Asks BYU Students What They Know About Black People, In Blackface [Video] (bossip.com)
- BYU students react to professor’s controversial comments ()
[UPDATE] Killer Has Been Identified, As Well As Possible Motive: Shooting At Oakland, CA Christian Univeristy
UPDATE: April 3rd, 2012 @ 12:00 PM – The shooter is being identified (allegedly) as 43-year-old, One L. Goh. According to some, he was often made fun of for his poor English speaking skills. As far as the authorites believe, Goh was looking for a former female administrator that had expelled him from Oikos University, earlier in the year. After realizing that she wasn’t there he went into an acupuncture room and told the students to “Get in line and I’m going to kill you all.” Although he has surrendered and been cooperative, he seems to be lacking remorse. It is believed that the death of his mother, brother and being expelled along with debt piling up, is the possible motive.
UPDATE: April 2nd, 2012 at 4:05 PM – 7 people are being confirmed dead after the shooting that took place this morning. The suspect has also been identified as a man in his 40′s and has been taken into custody by police. Along with the seven fatally shot, 3 other people were wounded as well. Pastor Jong Kim, the University’s founder, did verify that the suspect was enrolled at the school as a nursing student, but was no longer enrolled.
Although it hasn’t been verified yet, it is assumed that at least five people are dead after a man opened fire at Oikos University, a Christian school in Oakland, California at 10:30 this morning. Police are not letting people know how many are dead and/or wounded, but from the aerial shots, 5 bodies can be seen with sheets covering them.
Police described the suspect as an Asian male, 5-foot-9, wearing tan pants, according ABC station KGO-TV in San Francisco.
- Shooting erupts at Oakland religious school (sfgate.com)
- Four victims treated at one Oakland hospital (itv.com)
- Police respond to shooting in East Oakland (mercurynews.com)
- Oakland Rapper T-K.A.S.H. Running Marathon To Stem Gun Violence (allhiphop.com)
Everyone and their mom have been posting this lately, so I figured I should at least share with all of you. Apparently, Kristin was copying some papers before realizing that they had gone Live and she had nowhere to go. Watch her in the background be incredibly awkward.
UPDATE: February 16th, 2012 at 10:01 AM -
This incident actually occurred on Valentine’s Day in 2008. I will go ahead and post some of Lauren’s remark’s and more of the story below the photo.
Lauren Debrauwere, although not dead, was actually shot twice herself during this massacre at Northern Illinois University. She had to have stomach surgery and was still in the hospital on February 19th, 2008, with a tube down her esophagus.
Debrauwere, 19, told her family she never had a chance to run on Thursday when a stranger walked onto the stage and opened fire, killing five of her classmates — including her boyfriend sitting next to her — and injuring nearly 20 more before turning a gun on himself.
She remembers everything, her father, Mark Debrauwere, said Monday, the day families started laying the slain students to rest.
He said his daughter didn’t know Steven Kazmierczak, and when he appeared on stage minutes before class was to end, she assumed he was there to make an announcement.
Then from somewhere behind him or underneath his clothing, he pulled out a shotgun. “He tried to shoot the instructor, who ducked behind the podium,” Debrauwere said his daughter told him. Then, he said, Kazmierczak pointed the shotgun at the students sitting in front of him in the large lecture hall and pulled the trigger.
Lauren and her boyfriend Dan were sitting near the fron of the class and the gunman aimed at both of them. Unfortunately, this is when Dan was shot and killed and Lauren was shot twice: once in the hip and another time in the abdomen. Shortly after, he shot the girl sitting next to Lauren. It was literally a nightmare, right in front of her eyes.
Mark Debrauwere said his daughter was conscious when she arrived at the hospital.
“She knew what had happened. She just said her stomach hurt, ‘Please make it stop,’” Mark Debrauwere said.
Doctors found one bullet had exited her buttocks and the other had traveled up her body and lodged above her left breast, narrowly missing her heart, her father said.
She also knew something else.
“She kept asking us about Dan and we lied to her for a while but she knew (he’d been killed),” he said. “She saw it. She definitely had seen what happened.”
When Sophia Stockton ordered her textbook, “Understanding Terrorism: Challenges, Perspectives, and Issues,” she never expected to find $400 worth of cocaine within, but that’s exactly what she discovered.
Stockton is in her junior year of college in Olathe, Kansas, and wasn’t sure of exactly what was in the bag, but had her assumptions. After taking it to her local police station, they were able to confirm that she had in fact received a large amount of cocaine along with her textbook.
“He put some gloves on and put it in a plastic bag,”Stockton told KSCW. ”He took it back to test it and like 10 minutes later he came back and said, ‘Did you happen to order some cocaine with your textbook?’”
For a college student, Miss Stockton is pretty ignorant. I mean, at the very least, sell that shit. You’re obviously spending money on textbooks which cost an arm and a leg, might as well reap the benefits of the $400 worth of cocaine you have in your possession.
- Student Finds Cocaine in Terrorism Textbook (fox4kc.com)
- College student buys used textbook online that arrives with bag of cocaine (examiner.com)
- Sophia Stockton, College Student, Gets Cocaine with Amazon Order (ibtimes.com)
- Yayo Files: Woman Finds $400 Worth Of Coke In Used Book Purchased From Amazon.com (bossip.com)