Daily Archives: May 9, 2012
When I first read about this heroic dog, I was looking forward to an uncomplicated story of a loyal dog helping its owner. Unfortunately, I feel this owner wasn’t so deserving of this amazing dog, who risked her life.
A pit bull named Lilly, from Shirley, Massachusetts, pulled Christine Spain away from the tracks as a freight train was coming towards them. Spain was unconscious at the time, so Lilly began to do what she thought best, pull her owner from the tracks and placing herself in harm’s way. The engineer of the westward-bound train saw Lilly pulling Spain in the early morning hours of May 3rd, and although he had tried to stop, he was unable to do so before hitting Lilly and leaving Spain unharmed.
As the train passed, the train’s wheels sliced through Lilly’s right foot, fractured her pelvis in numerous locations and caused various other internal injuries.
When EMTs arrived at the scene, Lilly was covered in blood but still standing guard over her owner, who had collapsed next to the tracks while walking home from a friend’s house.
This is when I began to get angry. Why did the woman pass out and why was she walking home in the very early morning hours? My assumption is that Christine endangered her dog because she was drunk and unable to stay conscious.
Spain’s son, Boston police Officer David Lanteigne, transferred Lilly from an emergency animal hospital in Acton to Angell Animal Medical Center in Boston. In fact, Lanteigne is the one who adopted Lilly three years earlier, for his mother, in the hopes that it would help curb her drinking! AHA! While I may be wrong, this just makes me feel more confident in my original assumption. Obviously, Lilly loves the woman and wanted to save her life, but it was because of Spain’s irresponsibility that Lilly was even in that position.
“Lilly’s recovery from this horrific ordeal is my top priority right now and I’ll do everything possible to get her back home to us,” Lanteigne said.
At this point, we know that Lilly’s foot could not be saved and her right front leg had to be amputated. Luckily, the veterinarian said she should be able to walk once she fully recovers.
To make a donation to Lilly’s care and treatment, click here.
- Humpback Whales Protect a Gray Whale from Killer Whales (psychologytoday.com)
- Hero Dog Pulls Unconscious Owner From Train’s Path (huffingtonpost.com)
- Pit Bull Pulls Unconscious Owner From Path Of Oncoming Train (boston.cbslocal.com)
- Pit Bull Pulls Owner From Railroad Tracks And Loses Own Leg In Process (thecrimsoncrow.com)
- Watch: Pit Bull Takes Hit, Saves Owner From Train (abcnews.go.com)
- Dog pulls owner off railroad tracks (wave3.com)
This video was released by The Buffalo Police Department and shows 18-year-old, Victor Jerez, along with two other friends trying to run out-of-the-way of the vehicle. Unfortunately, Jerez wasn’t so lucky, and was struck by the vehicle and then thrown into the air. The other two friends that were with Jerez were lucky enough to avoid the car, driven by 19-year-old Tornubari Gbaraba.
Five minutes after the incident, the driver was already on the police’s radar, and a high-speed chase took place before they were able to arrest the suspect.
Buffalo Mayor Bryan Brown said, “The footage is extremely graphic,” but explained he was releasing the video to address the apparent spike of hit-and-run incidents (including the death of a 14-year-old boy on his bike) the city has seen lately, “The purpose for showing this video footage is to dramatize how dangerous hit and run accidents are.”
While you may be thinking that Jerez suffered from fatal injuries, this is where his luck began to change. He left the hospital shortly after arriving and being treated for his injuries. Along with that, Gbaraba, has been charged with assault, reckless driving and fleeing from a police officer.
- Motorcycle cop injured in Cobb hit-and-run (ajc.com)
- Surveillance video captures car plowing into NY teen, flipping him head over heels in midair (calgaryherald.com)
- Car plows into NY teenager, flipping him in midair (kansascity.com)
- Video: Car plows into group of people (wivb.com)
- Hit-and-run horror: Shocking CCTV footage shows man being flipped into the air by speeding car (mirror.co.uk)
- VIDEO: Hit-and-run-crash in Buffalo, NY caught on camera (fox6now.com)
- Body shop helps police name hit-and-run suspect (local10.com)
YouTube: It has been said that sharing personal stories is one of the most effective ways to change people’s hearts and minds. This is my story and I hope you are inspired to share it with others.
CLICK TO TWEET
“Beautiful Boy” Coleen McMahon
- YouTube restores Christian videos (wnd.com)
- ‘Racist’ Ashton Kutcher ad yanked from YouTube, Facebook (ctv.ca)
- Invite Your Friends To Share This! (angelarachman.wordpress.com)
- I’m stealing this headline from HuffPost. “Gay Man Honors Boyfriend’s Death With Poignant Video Noting Lack Of Rights Offered To Unwed Same-Sex Couples” (snoopervizion.wordpress.com)