Daily Archives: April 19, 2012
Cocaine is a prominent drug that is used by many people, especially those who like to go out drinking and need something to make sure they’ll be able to hang out long enough for after hours. The only thing stopping people from going overboard? The threat of death. Well, science has now given the entire population a reason to go out and get blown out of their fucking minds: an antidote!
As of now, the antidote has only been tested on mice, but they’re hoping to move forward and do some human clinical trials. They are searching for a way to produce the solution cheap enough and in large quantities, before the testing on real beings who would use cocaine to the point of an overdose have the opportunity to see if this truly works.
‘This would be the first specific antidote for cocaine toxicity,’ said study author Dr Kim Janda.
‘It’s a human antibody so it should be relatively safe, it has a superior affinity for cocaine, and we examined it in a cocaine overdose model that mirrors a real-life scenario,’ he said.
In the United States, there are over 400,000 incidences that involve Cocaine in Emergency rooms, every year. Along with that large amount of abusers, there are also 5,000 overdoses that lead to death each year. Scientists are hoping their antidote could help keep the number of deaths and incidences down, but are unaware that the threat of death is what most likely keeps it that low (not that 5,000 is low).
The passive vaccine worked by crossing the blood-brain barrier, which caused the cocaine molecules to diffuse out of the brain tissue. At the same time it reduced the drug’s effects on the heart and nearby organs.
For those who enjoy peer pressuring others, this is awesome. And for those people who were like me and found the death consequences a good reason to say no, you’re fucked. Way to go science!
- Cocaine overdose ‘antidote’ in the future? (foxnews.com)
- Antidote for cocaine overdose shows promise in lab tests (medicalxpress.com)
- Antidote for cocaine overdose shows promise in lab tests (eurekalert.org)
- Whitney Houston Cocaine Overdose? (everyjoe.com)
- Cocaine and the teen brain: New insights into addiction (sciencedaily.com)
- Police say suspect ate cocaine to hide drugs (onlineathens.com)
WARNING: THIS IS SOME CRAZY SHIT.
YouTube: What we have here was a man trimming trees with a machete. He was slicing protruding branches but didn’t pay proper attention of the power lines. One of his swings caught a live wire and electrocuted him on the spot. His friend with help of a few neighbors tried to pull him out of the danger when said friend touched the high voltage wire hanging off the post.
You can see sparks on his skin as electric current runs through his body, sending him down to the ground. Woman in yellow shorts gets a zap trying to pull him out but gets out of there before it could electrocute her too. Others try to help the frying man with sticks but it’s not working out. Soon the body starts producing smoke — a clear sign that when the electricity takes a hold of a human, the consequences are brutal.
This took place in December of 2011.
- Fatal electrocution in Kaikoura (nzherald.co.nz)
- You: 2 electrocuted (nation.com.pk)
- Man electrocuted while trying to steal PHCN cable [Vanguard News] (transformationwatch.com)
- Lorry driver electrocuted (thehindu.com)
- Man electrocuted in Southern California copper theft try (mercurynews.com)
- Man electrocuted in California copper theft try (kansascity.com)
Everyone (at least at some point) gets their hair cut. These people were sick of being plain and decided to spice up their looks. Some, are better than others.
- What’s Your Etiquette Style? (bellasugar.com)
- Which Hair Cut and Color Looks Better on Heidi Montag? (bellasugar.com)
- Watch “Edward Scissorhands” Cut Hair With Flair (bellasugar.com)
- Where Does the Man in Your Life Get His Hair Cut? (bellasugar.com)
- BellaVeda Salon (billthemortgageguy.com)
- Brave New Girl (odetomyabode.com)