Did Homophobia Contribute To Whitney Houston’s Fall?
In the past few days since Whitney Houston passed away, there are many articles coming out which shed light into who she really was and some of the secrets that she was forced to hide from people. According to many, Ms. Houston’s one true love in life (other than daughter, Bobbi Kristina)was a woman: Robyn Crawford.
Crawford was Whitney Houston’s assistant, and it was obvious to many that they shared more than a friendship. Peter Tatchell, who wrote an amazing article for DailyMail, discusses how he met Ms. Houston and ms. Crawford in 1991 at the Reach Out & Touch HIV vigil that was held in London. This is when Tatchell shared that it was clear to him that Houston and Crawford were madly in love.
They held hands in the back of the car like teenage sweethearts. Clearly more than just friends, they were a gorgeous couple and so happy together. To see their love was infectious and uplifting.
Gay rights campaigner Peter met Whitney at an HIV vigil in London in 1991
Whitney was happiest and at the peak of her career when she was with Robyn. Sadly, she suffered family and church pressure to end her greatest love of all.
Sadly, she was pressured into believing that the most important relationship to her, at the time, could damage her public image, and therefore, career. She eventually gave into the pressure that was put on her by the church and her family, and ended her lesbian relationship with Robyn Crawford. This situation is what led to the spontaneous marriage to former husband, Bobby Brown.
As we all know, Bobby Brown was not a good influence on Whitney and led her down the path of self-destruction. She was willing to down this path because she was emotionally traumatized by her recent split with her one true love.
It seems likely that the split with Robyn contributed to her substance abuse and decline.
There is a known correlation between denial of one’s sexuality and a propensity to self-destructive behaviour. Homophobia undoubtedly added to the pressures on Whitney and hastened her demise.
This is not a story to tarnish Whitney Houston and/or Robyn Crawford, but rather a story to show what homophobia can do to a person. It is also a way to honor their relationship seeing as it was pretty important to both of these women.
Tatchell wasn’t intending on outing Ms. Houston, because there had been many people before him that had hinted at the same message.
Years ago, she was outed by Bobby’s sister, Tina, and by her former bodyguard, Kevin Ammons.
Bobby Brown hinted in his autobiography that she married him to dispel lesbian rumours: ‘I believe her agenda was to clean up her image . . . The media was accusing her of having a bisexual relationship with her assistant, Robin [sic] Crawford . . . that didn’t go too well with her image. In Whitney’s situation, the only solution was to get married . . . [to] kill all speculation.’
Telling the truth does not besmirch Whitney’s memory. It honours the most important relationship she ever had.
It would be nice to see people not have to jump into fake relationships to uphold the image that society has of someone. Love should be the reason behind spending your life with someone, not politics, or public façade. Poor Whitney is an example of what damage could be done.
- Bobby Brown kissed Whitney Houston’s casket yesterday then stormed out in a rage (muzicmagazine.com)
- Robyn Crawford: Whitney Houston’s Lesbian Lover? (rightcelebrity.com)
- Was Whitney Houston’s True Love a Woman? (celebs.gather.com)
- Is This Gay Activist Peeing On Whitney’s Grave With Talk That Her Inability To Accept Herself As Lesbian Drove Her To Drink And Drug? (bossip.com)
- Bobby Brown Performs With New Edition After Whitney’s Funeral! Watch HERE! (perezhilton.com)
- Whitneys daughter went to the funeral, then got high (wwtdd.com)
- Bobbi Kristina Brown allegedly used drugs after Whitney Houston funeral (thegrio.com)
- Whitney Houston ‘was a secret lesbian’, claims gay rights activist (mirror.co.uk)
Other Interesting Posts
- Run My Mood Away
- Georgia GOP Chairwoman, Sue Everhart, Warns Of ‘Free Ride’ Gay Marriage Fraud
- [VIDEO] Adopted Son of Two Gay Dads: Daniel’s Letter To Chief Justice Roberts
- [UPDATED] Mallory Owens Now Fears For Her Life: Lesbian Brutally Beat By Girlfriend’s Brother On Thanksgiving
- [VIDEO] New Jersey Family’s Theatrical Explanation of Hurricane Sandy’s Destruction: Pretty Funny